Here is what I came up with:
- Ryley wants to wear underpants like Braeden
- Ryley doesn't want to be changed on the floor
- Ryley hasn't always finished his toileting when I am ready to dress him
- Ryley knows that despite him being in a vulnerable position, he holds an incredible amount of power over me because he can kick me and move his body in such a way that I find it difficult to hold him. He likes to assert himself and have the control.
- Change Ryley on the spare bed. He happily climbs up and lays down for me.
- Once I remove his nappy, take him into the toilet and sit him down. He currently only sits for about 2 seconds, but it's a start.
- I have looked in to using pull ups, but they are not practical at the moment due to the cost. I have an appointment coming up soon with the continence clinic and will enquire about cost effective solutions (ie. what are they going to do to help?!)
- I did try changing him standing up in the toilets, but he had too many seizures and it was very difficult for him. So I will keep trying that occasionally as we progress a bit more with toilet training.
I did get kicked in the face again this morning, but I will persist with the changes. Ryley's behaviour in general is pretty bad at the moment, so I am hoping this phase will pass.
Thanks again for all the suggestions! I love how the blogosphere is so supportive!!